Every country and culture has its own understanding of value which is in turn reflected in its currency, transacted among its people. The currency of India is known as 'Rupee' and it is widely accepted in the Chennai city of Tamil Nadu. One rupee is equal to 100 paisa. The currency is available in the form of notes as well as coins. While the notes are available in the denominations of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 500 and 1000, the coins are available in denominations of 1, 2, and 5 and 10. And it is advisable to use notes for big transactions and change for giving tips, local transport fare and other small expenses.
Before leaving for Chennai, here are the things you should keep in mind to keep away from hustle bustle.
Currency Exchange Converter
The Universal Currency Converter (website) helps you in finding out the current currency rates in the country. Check it out before you plan to travel to Chennai, India. This converter provides an idea of the latest exchange rates, based on the mid point between buy and sell rates of large value transactions in global currency markets.
Exchange Currency Before You Leave
The travellers, travelling long distances and landing in Chennai early in the morning or late at night, should carry a small amount of foreign currency before departing on a trip as it is difficult to find banks and currency exchange desks at odd hours. The amount should be enough to pay a cab ride to your destination and small incidentals without looking for money exchangers.
When in Chennai, there are a number of banks, travel agencies, and money exchangers that will solve your purpose of acquiring local currency. Some of them are given here:
Read this article to know about money exchangers in Chennai and to get some tips and advices on money/currency exchanges.
- Albaraka Finance Ltd (24 Wellingdon Est C-in-c Road, Egmore)
- Dass India Money Changer (P) Ltd (2nd Line Beach Rd, St. George Town)
- IKP Foreign Exchange (G - 20, Spencer Plaza , 27 & 28, Dr Radhakrishnan Salai)
- Sims Limited (Dr Radhakrishnan Salai)
- Thomas Cook Ceebros Centre (Montieth Road)
- Travels Masters India (P) Ltd (3, Murrays Gate Road Alwarpet)
- Dass (I) Money Changer (New 86 Rajaji Salai)
- Elite Forex P Ltd (2 flr 305 T H Rd )
- For'X change (4th flr 38 Sterling Rd)
- G A Vasant (Exchange) (179 Thambu Chty St)
- Gajraj Mehta International Pvt Ltd (97, Egmore High Rd Egmore)
- Gajraj Metha International P Ltd (97 Egmore H)
- Masa Money Changers (15/1 Kennet Lane)
- Prithvi Exchange (41, Montieth Road, Egmore,)
- South Asian Financial Exchange (34 Dr.P V Cherian Crsnt)
- T T Forex Ltd (G-1 ,Apex Plaza N H Rd)
- VKC Credit & Forex Ser P Ltd (55/115,TTK Road)
Besides liquid cash, you can also use other mediums for carrying out your transactions, like credit cards, traveller cheques etc. Though these mediums are convenient, they have their own limitations. They can only be used at established places only. For travelling to small places though, cash should be carried.